Author Topic: Facebook changes this past week  (Read 409 times)

Offline Todd Muskopf

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.muskopf.org
Facebook changes this past week
« on: December 11, 2016, 08:16:56 AM »
I know most of you don't deep-dive Facebook like I do, but I thought I'd toss out some things I noticed this week.

Facebook changed things for my Classic Beauty Page, not my seniors page.  I think my CBP is part of an early rollout or maybe a betatesting thing.  It could either be because of the amount of $$$ I've spent on ads for it (none on the seniors page) or because I have about 8000 likes on it and only 1600 on the senior page. 

Things that changed:

--Adding photos to albums no longer counts as posts in the Engagement scores.  Even though I posted 50 or 60 photos, only the pics uploaded to the timeline show up as posts.  My Engagement score went from 950 to 17 overnight.

--I'm now seeing an occasional notification that "Molly Smith chose to follow your page".  I'm wondering if the default is now to Like a page, but you have to take action to Follow it?

--Photos uploaded to albums don't show up on the timeline as Photos.  So, when new people come to the page, they don't see the photos I've posted. 

My thoughts about this.  Photos in albums cannot be boosted.  Photos on the timeline can.  I think they're trying to get me to post more on the timeline so I'll be tempted to spend more money.  The Engagement score used to be a metric I looked at almost daily.  Now, it's irrelevant, because the playing field is not even.  My CBP is playing with different rules than the other pages I follow.  The scores don't matter.

I'm still getting inquiries and new bookings, so I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.behmphoto.com
Re: Facebook changes this past week
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 09:54:10 AM »
The ever changing metric at FB is one off those frustrating things, like traffic in DC, that we'll put up with because there's no real alternative - not an effective one, anyway.  Todd, you'll remember, I was paying for FB placement a couple years ago, rather like having someone manage my SEO.  It was not effective, so I quit.  My point being, even full time professionals have trouble with the FB algorithms.  My hat is off to you for your efforts.  I'm cordially in hate with Facebook.

Offline Duck

• Authenticated Members
  • Freelance commercial photographer and instructor
    • View Profile
    • Unitas Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 10:50:15 PM »
Ah, the love/hate relationship with facebook. I know it well.
What's the term... "necessary evil"?
My name is Charles Unitas but friends call me Duck

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."

Offline Todd Muskopf

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.muskopf.org
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 07:06:25 AM »
Here's a comparison of September vs. today.