Author Topic: Switching things up.....  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Lekan Oyefeso

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mtmphoto.com
Switching things up.....
« on: May 02, 2016, 09:31:10 PM »
At the end of the last wedding season, I had an epiphany.  I realized how much I hated shooting weddings.  I hated the pressure I put on myself the month before the wedding, I hated the uncontrollable circumstances I found myself dealing with throughout the day, I hated the type of client I was dealing with, and it all no longer seemed worth it.  I realized that I really enjoyed portrait work where I have more control over the variables wasn't under the pressure of creating art in crap situations.  With that revelation, I shut everything down and rebranded.  I've moved into the headshot realm and have found studio space to shoot in.  I've shot a few people for free to build my new portfolio and have computed my costs of doing business and have priced my services accordingly.  I'm a bit lost on where to begin with marketing though.  I know there are at least a couple of people here who are in the headshot industry.  I'd love some input from them on what directions you have taken, what has worked/hasn't worked, and what lessons you have learned.  Thanks a bunch!!

Lekan

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.behmphoto.com
Re: Switching things up.....
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 10:59:21 PM »
I did something similar years ago. Once I found that I could generate as much gross as a wedding with two family portraits and double my profits, I moved away from weddings and the exhaustive pressure.  The bulk of my work has always been products, ad work and commercial, even back when shooting 30 weddings a year.

As for headshots, I found an SEO company I can afford that pushes my food, jewelry and headshot work within a 50 mile radius. It's worked infinitely better than my own efforts. Two months after starting with them, it was generating many times its cost in added revenues.

Offline Lekan Oyefeso

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 02:14:53 PM »
I've always been kinda sketchy about SEO companies.  They ALL say they can get you on the first page of Google or something like that.  If it was possible to fit everybody on page 1, then I'd believe that more!  LOL!  I'm glad to hear from someone who had success from working with an SEO company.  How were they able to improve your visibility?  Anyone else have any advice?

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.behmphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 02:36:39 PM »
It was achieved (as I understand it imperfectly) by defining my niche and my space.  Headshots I only advertise within 50 miles, but food and jewelry is region and state wide.  Then tailoring keywording to suit those parameters.  If I was any good at it, I'd have continued it, but I was not, despite years of effort.  I wish I could help more, but I'd have to know more than I do.  Check with your host company, that's who does mine. 

Offline Jenny Gavin-Wear

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • Actor Headshot Photographer
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 04:31:19 PM »

If it's actor headshots you're thinking of doing, then it's all about networking.  No magic wand of SEO.

Early on I offered to cover a few amateur plays and that got me known and I've been climbing the ladder.

Word of mouth, reputation is everything.   

Offline Lekan Oyefeso

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 09:29:16 AM »

If it's actor headshots you're thinking of doing, then it's all about networking.  No magic wand of SEO.

Early on I offered to cover a few amateur plays and that got me known and I've been climbing the ladder.

This is kinda what I figured.  I've been contacting talent agents and acting schools to get my name out there.  I'll do some volunteering at amatuer theaters and such to further my exposure and get my name out there to as many people as possible.  I'll certainly keep that up as much as possible. 

Offline Jenny Gavin-Wear

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • Actor Headshot Photographer
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 10:39:44 AM »

This is kinda what I figured.  I've been contacting talent agents and acting schools to get my name out there.  I'll do some volunteering at amatuer theaters and such to further my exposure and get my name out there to as many people as possible.  I'll certainly keep that up as much as possible.

Facebook has been invaluable to me in getting started.  Also might be worth taking a look at LinkedIn.   You'll need to be on Casting Call Pro and Starnow.  In the UK we have Spotlight whereas in the UK IMDB is where Casting Directors go to first, but you need to be aware of / joining quality actor casting sites for your locality - avoid the bad sites, there are a lot of them!

I'd also recommend joining acting groups and reading and asking questions and learning the acting business.  Actors headshots are their first audition, you need to know what an actor goes through to get work.  If you can show you understand their business it will help you enourmously.

However, don't expect an easy ride and don't expect any loyalty!