Author Topic: 17 inch notebook recommendation for editing and presentation  (Read 658 times)

Offline otto

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
17 inch notebook recommendation for editing and presentation
« on: October 30, 2015, 09:24:44 AM »
Hi!

I need a 17 windows laptop which I would like to use for client presentations (wedding photography) and editing.

Until recently, I had a 17 macbook pro but I would like to move away from mac.

I wild like to have something presentable. I don't really want to have a gaming laptop because it is just too futuristic looking. I liked the clean look of my old macbook pro.

Do you have anything you can recommend?

Thanks!

Offline Jenny Gavin-Wear

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • Actor Headshot Photographer
Re: 17 inch notebook recommendation for editing and presentation
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 01:40:09 PM »

I use a 17" Toshiba, but I woudn't recommend it for editing as the screen can't be calibrated properly.  I believe the screens that can be calibrated on a laptop get quite expensive.

Offline otto

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 11:28:31 AM »
Anybody to share his/her ideas? Thanks!

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.behmphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 01:26:49 PM »
I'm still using a MacBook Pro 17" - either that or an iPad.  Currently, you might want to check out the new, much larger iPad Pro, unless you're just so committed to moving away from Mac that an iPad won't do.

Offline Todd Muskopf

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.muskopf.org
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 07:38:07 PM »
I've got an HP laptop from 2008 that I'm still using every day to do viewing and ordering sessions linked via hdmi to a 55" tv.  It was an expensive one at the time, and I think that  makes a difference.  I think it was like $800 at the time.

I bought a $300 Toshiba a year or so ago to play a slideshow in the camera room, and it works fine, but the video display on the older one is better.

In other words, don't be cheap.

Offline Nanette Reid

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • nanette reid | architectural & interior photographer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 10:42:27 PM »
I had a 17" Sony Vaio - probably the closest PC I found that has the "Macbook" feel. Worked well and I had it specced to the maximum possible (at the time). Sadly it got trashed in an auto accident just 6 months into ownership, and I purchased a Macbook from the insurance money.

My PA has a smaller Vaio from 2004, and it's still going strong. I'm actually rather amazed that it's still operating quickly - hers is stock standard but still chugging along nicely.

I know Sony used to offer a "Build Your Own" (in the US anyway) - something I envied in AU, so I actually ended up buying it online as a US model through EBay. (Crazily enough, the seller was based in AU!!)

In 2005 I paid $1700 for it - the average price for a laptop back then was around $700-800. Sony's always seemed to be more expensive - not sure if it still hold true though. ;)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 10:47:20 PM by Nanette Reid »

Offline Joe Federer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.federerphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 07:52:24 PM »
I rolled with a 17" dell for a long while...  wide gamut montior, etc.  It worked... can't say I was 'impressed' with it any way.

I recently grabbed a Surface Book and I really like it.  The screen is great and I'd be happy to do presentations on it (tent mode, tablet mode, laptop mode, etc... all good options depending on what you are doing).  It's not 17" so you don't get the 'size' wonderfulness... but the touch and pinch and all that is slick, as is the form factor.