Author Topic: Zenfolio Problems  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Jenny Gavin-Wear

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • Actor Headshot Photographer
Zenfolio Problems
« on: May 25, 2015, 07:55:49 PM »
I have been using Zenfolio for about 2 years or so.  Sadly it's getting progressively worse as they try to improve it.  I like some of the new features, but they are buggy.

I know at least one other member here is a Zenfolio user and I am sure there must be more.  So I plan to start posting problems I find so you are aware of them.  I'd really appreciate it if you let me know when you find a problem, too, please.

Google Analytics reports site code missing, but still picks up data. 

In the blog, changing "Keywords" to "Categories" doesn't work all of the time.

Indenting doesn't work anymore in the page editor.  Even on bullet items the Increase Indent button stays grey.

The responsive version of my site doesn't work using the Google browser on my Android phone, the menu just doesn't do anything.  It does work on Firefox though.

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.behmphoto.com
Re: Zenfolio Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 08:33:51 PM »
I don't really use some of the things you described but when I do have trouble I write their service people and get reasonably prompt answers. Sometimes there's a little back and forth to get on the same page. Right now they're trying to get redesigned for mobile device compliance with Googles new parameters they tell me.

Offline Donna Underwood

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • Images by Donna U
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 10:27:29 AM »
I use and love Zenfolio but like Jeff I don't use many of the things you are discussing.

Jeff, let me know what is involved for mobile compliance. I may have to look into that if it doesn't mean I have to completely change my site.

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 01:21:21 PM »
Right now, Donna, Zenfolio is writing code to make what we already have mobile compliant, is my understanding.  They're aware that we, their clients, will suffer if they don't do this.  As for what that may entail for implementation on our end, they haven't said.

Now that I'm on my computer, rather than my iPhone, I can reply a little more to Jenny's observations, too.  I do have occasional problems with Indenting.  The site also performs slightly differently in Safari from Firefox.  I haven't bothered setting up Chrome.  That's about as much as I have experienced with your questions.  I dislike the new "Idiot Color Boxes" that are supposed to make things easier; that's not necessarily been the case.  So far, all I've done is cope and re-learn my workflow for editing, and periodically cuss.  I've had worse trouble with other sites, so I'm not overly concerned beyond the cussing.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 03:13:09 PM by Jeff Behm »

Offline Joe Federer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.federerphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 02:48:27 PM »
Jenny -- I'm in the same boat as the other two.  I don't use the things you are having issues with.  I'd highly recommend contacting their CS.

(Though I agree, the recent 'upgrade' to the UI is terrible and removed quite a few things I did use)

Offline Jenny Gavin-Wear

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 04:11:47 PM »
I use and love Zenfolio but like Jeff I don't use many of the things you are discussing.

Jeff, let me know what is involved for mobile compliance. I may have to look into that if it doesn't mean I have to completely change my site.

Hi Donna,  I've been simplifying a lot of the custom pages I've created and taking out the html tables, this seems to be the main issue.  It seems that Zenfolio need to do a lot more testing still and it is annoying me that they don't test properly before they put new "features" on line.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:16:58 PM by Jenny Gavin-Wear »

Offline Jenny Gavin-Wear

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 04:16:04 PM »
Right now, Donna, Zenfolio is writing code to make what we already have mobile compliant, is my understanding.  They're aware that we, their clients, will suffer if they don't do this.  As for what that may entail for implementation on our end, they haven't said.

Now that I'm on my computer, rather than my iPhone, I can reply a little more to Jenny's observations, too.  I do have occasional problems with Indenting.  The site also performs slightly differently in Safari from Firefox.  I haven't bothered setting up Chrome.  That's about as much as I have experienced with your questions.  I dislike the new "Idiot Color Boxes" that are supposed to make things easier; that's not necessarily been the case.  So far, all I've done is cope and re-learn my workflow for editing, and periodically cuss.  I've had worse trouble with other sites, so I'm not overly concerned beyond the cussing.

The indenting didn't work before these changes without adding some CSS code to the beginning of all custom pages.  They have now turned off the Indent button in the editor and the Bullets don't indent as they should.

I tested my site in IE, Firefox and Safari and it looks ok.  Like you I've not tested in Chrome, so few of my customers using it.

Offline Jenny Gavin-Wear

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 04:20:27 PM »
Jenny -- I'm in the same boat as the other two.  I don't use the things you are having issues with.  I'd highly recommend contacting their CS.

(Though I agree, the recent 'upgrade' to the UI is terrible and removed quite a few things I did use)

Hi Joe,  I'm tired of their CS team fobbing me off.  I get answers that show they clearly don't understand my questions.  I persevere and they then tell me their developers will look into it.  9 times out of 10 nothing happens.

There are so many good things about Zenfolio, but as the frustrations mount up I'm having to look around for something better.  Many of the alternatives I have looked at for hosting cost more and the features are less, but at least what is there works!

Offline Joe Federer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.federerphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 01:13:02 PM »
Yeah, the issue I had it took about 10 back-and-forths (and a screen capture youtube video) to get their CS to acknowledge it was a problem.

... and then they said their developers would put it on the list of things to fix.

... this was 4 months ago.

So while the track record isn't great... it's more than we'll be able to do here.  ha!

My real advice would be this:  They are still better than the competition.

Offline Jenny Gavin-Wear

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 05:01:12 PM »
Yeah, the issue I had it took about 10 back-and-forths (and a screen capture youtube video) to get their CS to acknowledge it was a problem.

... and then they said their developers would put it on the list of things to fix.

... this was 4 months ago.

So while the track record isn't great... it's more than we'll be able to do here.  ha!

My real advice would be this:  They are still better than the competition.

Hi Joe,  I just sent them a stinger ;)

My purpose in starting this thread is that many of us use Zenfolio and we can make each other aware of problems.

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 09:24:34 AM »
It seems as if there may be different centers for Zenfolio US vs UK, based upon some of the discussions we've had here. (outages in one area, not experienced in another, etc.)  With that possibility in mind, this arrived in my email moments ago, and I post it in case it differs for UK or European users

Offline Jenny Gavin-Wear

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 04:28:51 PM »

Signed up for the Beta testing ...

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile