Author Topic: Pure traffic -- worth it?  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Joe Federer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.federerphotography.com
Pure traffic -- worth it?
« on: May 24, 2015, 06:28:45 PM »
So the old saying about marketing is just to get eyeballs on your product.  I'm increasingly skeptical of that concept.

Last year someone posted one of my photos to reddit.  It ended up getting 337,000+ views.  I'm not sure I saw any actual 'interest' in my wedding services from that -- in fact, it preciptated a relatively long 'inquiry' drought for me.

24 hours ago I posted a photo of my own to reddit (the image of Colleen backlit in the snow) and it's had over half a million views (and pulled over 400gb of bandwidth in a day from my webserver!)  It's only been a day, but not a single contact has come from over 500,000 views of my photo/logo.  I got more interest when I posted it on my facebook page and only 5,000 people saw it.

... which again leads me to believe, 'traditional blanket' marketing simply isnt' very effective.  It needs to hit your niche market, squarely... or it doesn't matter.

Offline Sbuchanan

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • Buchanan Studios
Re: Pure traffic -- worth it?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 07:20:43 PM »
If you were able to drill down on those 500k views and see who was...
A)local to you
     B)of the right financial demographic
          C)in the right place in their life (i.e., marrying age)

I bet you'd find a whole lot less than 500k.  Probably 1 or 2, if that.

You know what would be nice?  IT would be nice if Visa or MasterCard would sell you the contact info on every guy who just spend $1500 or more at a jewelry store, is between 18 and 35, and earns more than $50k/year.  That's a good demo to market to.

Rifle vs. shotgun

Offline Joe Federer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 07:24:12 PM »
Exactly.

It was free, but the point remains: blanket marketing Vs something like really pushing referrals from past brides and/or facebook marketing to the right demo...   

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.behmphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 09:02:38 AM »
Smart marketing has never really been just about eyeballs, although billboards, newspapers, phone book covers and restaurant menu ads would tell you the shotgun approach works.  Yeh, for them if we buy, and maybe at a 1% rate of return for us.  You've got to buy a lot of billboards at a 1% rate of return or less to generate enough to even pay for the billboards.  I'd think, in this case, the selection of the service that will best target the right kinds of viewers is going to far outweigh sheer numbers of unqualified views.  By the way, in my old location in PA, anytime I had a businessman's headshot in an article in the business pages, it generated calls from others needing that service.  I also periodically ran ads for that service in the business section showing local executives I'd photographed.  That worked, too.  So newspapers weren't the problem, proper focus was the issue.

Smart marketing has always been about targeting the population who are interested in what we have to sell.  In the world of photography, I've been taught that quality images are of interest to only an average of 10% of the populace, and to worry about how to reach only them.  I've also been taught that the most economically successful photographers are not necessarily the best photographers, they're best combination of marketing savvy and image quality.

As Steve pointed out, those huge numbers who saw Joe's images are meaningless unless they're targets in our market.   The past decade and a half I haven't targeted retail photography, just commercial.  I also happen to believe that the people who are responsible for buying advertising and commercial photography are not seeking it on Facebook, even though FB has proven to be helpful to wedding and family photographers.  Still, last year I experimented with a Facebook marketing plan offered by my hosting service.  They've been very successful with my SEO, so it seemed logical to at least try.  We narrowed the niche to which they'd push the FB posts to specific demographics.  Over the period of 4 months, they generated hundreds of thousands of looks.  At first the sheer numbers of new views was exhilarating, and I hoped I'd been wrong about FB and commercial.  But as the months went by and no one responded, I eventually cancelled the service.  FB is inappropriate for what I sell, even when it's tailored.  It is, however, one of the key places where brides-to-be, new mothers and their friends look.

Offline Jenny Gavin-Wear

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • Actor Headshot Photographer
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 07:43:30 PM »
Pure traffic is a waste of money.  You'll have no idea where is even coming from until after you have paid for it.

Offline Joe Federer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 02:46:42 PM »
... luckily I didn't pay. :)  Reddit posts are free.

Offline Jenny Gavin-Wear

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • Actor Headshot Photographer
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 04:21:25 PM »
... luckily I didn't pay. :)  Reddit posts are free.

I tried it out many, many years ago, thankfully I didn't pay much :)