Author Topic: What makes you say YES?  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Todd Muskopf

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.muskopf.org
What makes you say YES?
« on: March 06, 2015, 06:22:44 AM »
What is it that makes you say YES to one salesman, but NO to another?  Given the same or similar object/service being offered, we all know that we run or shrug off some people and gravitate towards others.

What are the key triggers in your experience?

Offline Nanette Reid

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • nanette reid | architectural & interior photographer
Re: What makes you say YES?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 07:54:44 AM »
Hmmm, not sure exactly what "it" is about salespeople that makes me choose one over another. I expect to be treated as a person - if they start treating me like a woman who has no idea what she's talking about, I walk. If they actually listen to what I'm saying (and I mean *listen*, not try to think for me) and appear to consider my POV or questions honestly, I'm more inclined to stick longer and not brush them off.

Get pushy with me, try to force my hand before I'm ready, they lose me too. Seriously, if I'm parting with a huge chunk of change, I want a chance to think it over and if they show they appreciate this, I'm more inclined to go back when the decision is "Yes". If they try to push the issue with all their special sales tactics, they have shot themselves in the foot and I'd not be going back anytime soon.

I'm the type of person who really does research a lot prior to purchasing stuff, simply because half the time the salesperson has no idea what they're actually selling. If they know their product, I'm more inclined to go with them on a sale, and if they don't admitting it and then taking the time to look into it (and get back to me promptly if promised.)

If a product isn't available due to geographic location, don't tell me "they don't make it", tell me the truth - show's you know your stuff and actually see me as a person, not a walking dollar sign. Had this happen once when I purchased a Sony laptop; wanted to do the "right thing" for the economy and purchase via the Sony store direct in AU. Unfortunately the model I wanted wasn't available in AU, but instead of telling me that, they told me that no such model existed with the specs I enquired about. They then tried to sell me a lower spec model at a higher price - walked out and bought online from an independent dealer in another state.

A salesperson who answers my questions, treats me as a person regardless of my gender, actually gets back to me when they say they will and doesn't try to push me into a purchase I'm not ready for, will probably have me returning and if they're just as good when I return, chances are I'll recommend them to others.

Offline Donna Underwood

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • Images by Donna U
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 08:23:17 AM »
Nanette got all in my head. I am exactly the same when I deal with salesmen.

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.behmphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 08:25:46 AM »
Nanette answered for me.  As a guy, I may not run into some of the specific issues she describes, but running into sales people who don't respect me as a person, or who try to act more knowledgeable than they are to intimidate (that's a guy on guy thing) lose me almost immediately.  Helpful, genuinely knowledgeable and not making it a constant stream of "I,I,I,I"  It's about the buyer, stupid.

Offline Mike Nykoruk

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nykoruk.com
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 08:27:51 AM »
 Nanette hit s homr run for me to except the part of treating like a women...if they treat me like a women I punch them in the nose. 8)

Offline Houston George

• Resident Cheapskate
  • Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.houstons-photography.com
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 04:26:47 PM »
I would be hard pressed to remember the last time a sales person convinced me to purchase anything. Like Nanette, I heavily research any significant purchase ad nauseam. By the time I'm standing in front of a sales person, I've made the decision on what I'm buying. They are really nothing more than the person who will write up the ticket. With online resources being what they are, it's not really necessary to approach any purchase on the fence so much that the sales pitch will be the determining factor.

My wife and I were recently discussing how amazing it is that the telemarketing and spammers tactics apparently work on a lot of people. They wouldn't exist if people weren't biting.

Houston

Offline Jenny Gavin-Wear

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • Actor Headshot Photographer
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 05:20:29 PM »

Trust.  More than anything else, and as other have said, not being a pain in the ..........

Offline Darren Cassese

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fotoglyphics.com
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 07:20:25 PM »
All things being equal and we're just talking about one person versus the other, I'll lean towards the one that soft sells.  I want to be wooed by not overly so.  I want to be asked for a purchased but not rushed to one.  I want to have my questions answered and feel like I have all the time in the world to ask as many questions as I want.  I want undivided attention.

I can think of several more things but those are the biggest traits for me.

The first one to "blink" on the traits above usually loses my sale.  This is often why I will price shop between HH Greg and Best Buy but end up buying at Best Buy most of the time. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Think happy thoughts.  Think happy thoughts.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baltimore, Maryland Wedding and Portrait Photographer

Offline Jenny Gavin-Wear

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 11:37:58 AM »

If you are asking, "what is the biggest motivator for customers making any purchase?", the answer is "fear".  It is the single most powerful way to drive business.

Eg.
You do realise that ALL the other actors have pro headshots, you are the only one that doesn't?
Aren't you that motivated by your acting anymore, so having good headshots isn't important to you?
I saw your friend earlier for headshots, he/she really likes them and got a great role, how about you?
Of course you could save money on your wedding, but you only do it once and wouldn't you like some guarantee of decent photos?

Offline Photobug Studio

• Fully equipped photography studio for rent
    • View Profile
    • Photobug Studio
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 01:24:25 PM »
Well said Jenny. Very well said.

Fear is such a strong motivator. It's the kind of motivator that keeps people awake, staring at their ceiling at night thinking about how they do need that pro headshot or a good wedding photographer. No other technique is quite as powerful. It's hard to do as a salesperson though, takes a lot of tact to do it properly, and not include too much doom and gloom and what not.

Offline Jenny Gavin-Wear

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 03:58:05 PM »
Well said Jenny. Very well said.

Fear is such a strong motivator. It's the kind of motivator that keeps people awake, staring at their ceiling at night thinking about how they do need that pro headshot or a good wedding photographer. No other technique is quite as powerful. It's hard to do as a salesperson though, takes a lot of tact to do it properly, and not include too much doom and gloom and what not.

Thanks :)  No doom and gloom required ....  "When you have amazing headshots like your mate, you'll get good castings, too".   "Won't you be glad to dump those old photos that have been holding you back!".

Photobug, we are encouraged use our real names here :) 

Offline Photobug Studio

• Fully equipped photography studio for rent
    • View Profile
    • Photobug Studio
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 11:32:28 AM »
My name is Brian Singer   :D

Offline Jenny Gavin-Wear

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 06:26:33 PM »
My name is Brian Singer   :D

So update your profile for your name to show?  It is preferred on these forums :)

Offline Ed Shapiro

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 10:16:24 AM »
It is said that a good salesperson does not “sell” anything but rather he or she simply helps the potential customer to buy- I firmly believe that and practicing this philosophy governs how I treat my potential and existing clients and how I expect to be treated when I am going to make important purchases. I don’t believe in pressure selling, instilling fear in anyone or carrying on “negative” sales techniques of any kind!  I never knock my competitors- I find resorting to that is distasteful and distracting and actually can end up putting off potential clients. As a consumer, it certainly put me off when this kind of “selling” takes place. I have never hired a salesperson or a rep who tells me he or she can “sell ice to the Eskimos in winter time”- that is not how I want my business to be represented. My attitude is that bad or pressurized sales always backfire! 

Negative selling can easily backfire; that is why I never make derogatory comments about other photographers or even bad pictures that clients show me. I have had potential clients show me what supposed to be professional “head shots” that could not even do for a passport photograph, but I will not criticize it because as bad as it was or is, the potential client may have liked it and even managed to book work with it.  By insulting the quality of their images, you may be inadvertently insulting the prospective client’s taste and knocking a photographer that might be someone that he or she likes and respects. At the same time you might be showing the would-be customer that you are “afraid” of other photographer or overly concerned about your competition. 

My strategies works like this:  When I am shown a poorly crafted image I simply state that this particular image has served them well for a while but now it is time for something different and perhaps more powerful and up to date.  Rather than tell them what another photographer did not do, can’t do, failed to do or don’t know how to do, I simply emphasize what I am gonna do, want to do and guarantee that I will do it!  When I see a good image or hear the name of a good photographer, I compliment the photographer and their work and again suggest that perhaps it is now time for a different approach and something more current. Some potential customers will use the names of your competitors or show you their images just to rattle your chains and get a price reduction in order for you to “take away” the job from a competitor- they like to pit one photographer against another.   I never fall for that tactic in that I assume that they wouldn’t be sitting in my office and wasting their time if they were going back to their former photographer or seeking out an amateur to do the work. Using this approach, I usually put all of the “monkey business” to rest and get the prospect to become a client by sticking to the creation of great imagery- I want them to get involved in the project so we can work as a team.

I want to educate each and every potential client that comes to me as to the function of good portraits, headshots and publicity images.  I familiarize them with the workings of the talent, modeling, advertising and casting agencies.  Theses organizations have file cabinets, computer files loaded with, “head sheets”, J- Cards, 8X10 glossies, and composites.  When they are mulling through all of theses resources,  brimming with a plethora of faces,  it is the  the dramatic, dynamic and outstanding images, not the ones that look like big passport pictures, that stop them in their tracks.  Theses are the images that lead to auditions, interviews, casting calls and eventual success.  Each picture must exude personality and professionalism! I reiterate to the client that in so many cases they themselves are not there when theses preliminary selections are made and the people at the agencies can’t appreciate their personality, their in-person appearance, their charisma- all they have to go by is that image! Of, course, we can not guarantee that anything we do can get them the “job” each and every time but having a great head shot or composite is a big step in the right direction.

I use this same approach to all of my commercial services; “our job is to help SELL your products or services” not just to take pictures or make lackluster reproductions of you or your products- a copy machine can do that! In my wedding and even coverage work; the same approach applies.  I concentrate on the details of the wedding day or the “big events at a convention” and show my enthusiasm for doing the job right!

As for my standards for good salespersons; when I am out there shopping or buying products or services; I am not impressed by sales “clerks”- I want to talk with “sales professionals” with product knowledge and solutions for my requirements, especially with major purchases, I want to deal with people who really have my interests and satisfaction at heart- not the kind of folks that just want to grab a big commission or some perks they get for selling things that their customers really don’t necessarily need. I need people to furnish me with the information I need to make wise purchases where big expenses are in the offing.  Nowadays, what with the Internet, there are more savvy consumers and buyers out there the ever before.  As others have stated in this thread, I do my research and homework long before I go to the stores and know exactly what I want. Some of the “big box stores” are nothing more than self-service supermarkets selling expensive products and I realize that in theses retail outlets, I am on my own. When, however, I am making major purchases such as studio or processing gear I want to talk with an experienced and knowledgeable sales representative that fully understands what he or she is selling and the ramifications of customer dissatisfaction. I can spot the phonies from a mile away and I will not buy from a company that is poorly represented by its staff.

I say YES to good service, professionalism and the expectation of good after-sale service!  It a classic ethic of “do unto others”!

Ed

Ed Shapiro
The Hintonburg Studio
Ottawa, Canada

Offline Jenny Gavin-Wear

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 04:29:43 PM »
Can I change my answer to chocolate?

Offline Theresa Fernandez

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theresafernandezphoto.com
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 07:46:29 PM »
I agree with Nanette.  I will add that if a salesperson starts offering a deal "only available RIGHT NOW!"  I'm out.

Funny story, when I went to get my first car (back in '87), my dad came with me, he hunts car salesmen for sport... :-) Anyway, we went to this Toyota dealer and saw a nice looking Corolla in the showroom - no sticker.  Sales guy comes up and my dad asks what they run.  Sales guy says well, why don't you drive it first? My dad says, I don't want to bother driving it if its not in my price range, so sales guy looks at me and says Isn't it pretty?   >:(  So my dad says well, you just lost a potential sale and down the road we went to the VW dealer.  The guy there spoke to us by providing information about the vehicle, taking a test drive and generally treating us with respect.  So I ended up happily driving off with an '87 Golf!
Theresa Fernandez
Dallas Food Photographer

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 08:27:38 AM »
Yep, you and your dada met a bad salesperson first, good salesperson second.  I don't recall the price brackets back then, but had the Toyota person answered your dad with "They run $8,000 to $10,000, depending some choices you make."  you may have been driving a Corolla instead.  Hiding price or pretending cost isn't a consideration is a sales technique of the frightened and insecure.  That dodge was so ingrained in car sales back then, it was a major part of what drove me out of my family's Chevy dealership.

Offline Jenny Gavin-Wear

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 05:51:25 PM »

I still go with chocolate.

Offline Todd Muskopf

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.muskopf.org
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 06:29:50 AM »
Chocolate is a fine answer...especially when it's not American chocolate. :)

Offline Jenny Gavin-Wear

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 06:37:39 AM »
Chocolate is a fine answer...especially when it's not American chocolate. :)

It is no worse or better than English chocolate :(   Belgium was put there for a reason!  (If only one reason ... )

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 10:16:15 AM »

Belgium was put there for a reason!  (If only one reason ... )

I thought it was a buffer zone for southern England.  Add chocolate and we have two reasons.

Offline Jenny Gavin-Wear

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 06:53:07 PM »

Belgium was put there for a reason!  (If only one reason ... )

I thought it was a buffer zone for southern England.  Add chocolate and we have two reasons.

We'd better stop there before they start sounding useful, not sure I could get used to that idea.

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 10:00:34 AM »
Ahh, but... the best meal I was ever served in my life was in Brussels, a tiny little place for locals called "le Petit Bonhomme".  It may not be there any more, but oh my, was it's food exquisite!