Author Topic: Saved myself $1000 (or more) yesterday  (Read 805 times)

Offline Todd Muskopf

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.muskopf.org
Saved myself $1000 (or more) yesterday
« on: December 02, 2014, 08:41:38 AM »
I was contacted three times yesterday by people who wanted me to advertise with them.  They were all "good opportunities for exposure".  Tossing $900 out of my car window as I drove down the main road in my town would probably do more.  Hey, that's a great idea!!  Sheesh, I'm brilliant!

Anyway, back to yesterday

1. The local Chamber of Commerce wanted me to advertise on their web site.  As far as I know, no one has ever gone to the Chamber of Commerce web site to see who does senior photos in my area.

2.  A cheerleading competition in my town called and wanted me to place an ad in their program.  The competition would be right before Christmas, which is after the due date for having the local yearbook photos done, and it's during the slow winter months when few people are looking to have portraits made.  I believe it only makes sense to advertise at the time of year when people are looking for your services, if you do a seasonal business like I do.  It makes no sense to advertise lawn treatments in January.

3.  A yearbook adviser from the next town over called and thanked me for placing an ad in their yearbook last year and wanted me to do so again this year.  Well, I only got one person from that town this year, and that one person happened to be the younger sister of the boy who sold me last year's yearbook ad.  Obviously, there was no ROI.

So, I'm feeling rich today, with $1000 in my pocket that I didn't have before.

I guess I'll create ziploc baggies with my logo on them, put $1 in each bag, and go throw them out in front of the high school when it lets out this afternoon.

Offline Travis Biggs

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.biggsphotography.com
Re: Saved myself $1000 (or more) yesterday
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 08:44:47 AM »
I was contacted three times yesterday by people who wanted me to advertise with them.  They were all "good opportunities for exposure".  Tossing $900 out of my car window as I drove down the main road in my town would probably do more.  Hey, that's a great idea!!  Sheesh, I'm brilliant!

Anyway, back to yesterday

1. The local Chamber of Commerce wanted me to advertise on their web site.  As far as I know, no one has ever gone to the Chamber of Commerce web site to see who does senior photos in my area.

2.  A cheerleading competition in my town called and wanted me to place an ad in their program.  The competition would be right before Christmas, which is after the due date for having the local yearbook photos done, and it's during the slow winter months when few people are looking to have portraits made.  I believe it only makes sense to advertise at the time of year when people are looking for your services, if you do a seasonal business like I do.  It makes no sense to advertise lawn treatments in January.

3.  A yearbook adviser from the next town over called and thanked me for placing an ad in their yearbook last year and wanted me to do so again this year.  Well, I only got one person from that town this year, and that one person happened to be the younger sister of the boy who sold me last year's yearbook ad.  Obviously, there was no ROI.

So, I'm feeling rich today, with $1000 in my pocket that I didn't have before.

I guess I'll create ziploc baggies with my logo on them, put $1 in each bag, and go throw them out in front of the high school when it lets out this afternoon.

I partner with a local jeweler who has recently announced that they are suspending almost all of their advertising except a basic ad and a billboard or two. Instead, they've been doing these treasure hunts where they give out daily/weekly clues for treasures of $250-500-1000 hidden locally. From the sounds of it, his ROI has been immense. He said something along the lines of a 10:1 return versus the maybe 1:1 he was getting before.
Travis -  Biggs Photography
             Life of the Party Station

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.behmphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 02:00:55 PM »
I frankly think your dollars in baggies is a great idea, as is the jeweler's treasure hunt Travis mentions

Offline Joe Federer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.federerphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 04:22:09 PM »

Lol.  Would probably work -- early next fall!

Offline Agale

• View Profile
    • Referral Rock - Referrals for photographers
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 01:03:28 PM »
The one thing I noticed about your strategies is that they are all building relationships, which is a great way to grow any business! Keep focused on networking and building those relationships.

If you want to take that game to the next level, I would suggest using a CRM (contact relationship management) to help you manage all of your connections.
Use Referral Rock to get more referrals for your photography business.