Author Topic: Google Ad Words -- worth it?  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Joe Federer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.federerphotography.com
Google Ad Words -- worth it?
« on: August 11, 2014, 04:26:42 PM »
So, like many of you, I often get $100 "gift cards" to google ads...    Spend $25 on ads, get $100 free... "no obligation after that".

First - has anyone done this?

Second -- have any of you had success with google ads?   For portrait/single-session type work... or for larger commissions like weddings?  Any thoughts on what would be best?

I'm new to the advertising gig... but I figured I get some extra money with these cards and I might as well see if I can get something out of it.

Offline Darren Cassese

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fotoglyphics.com
Re: Google Ad Words -- worth it?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 05:38:17 PM »
When my ad was running, I finally got some phone calls/emails.  The ad stopped and I went dark again.

Given my ongoing visibility struggles, I'd say it definitely works.  Plus, when I did sponsored ads as D&J Photography with desired keywords, I was always front page.  So I do think it works. 

$100 on Google is, IMO, a much better bet than $100 on Facebook which can be gone in 60 seconds with zero results. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Think happy thoughts.  Think happy thoughts.
Baltimore, Maryland Wedding and Portrait Photographer

Offline dylan87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 03:53:25 AM »
yeah, you should try Google Ads. But be aware that you better specify your keywords so you get a better response rate.
It's only 25 bucks you're spending, you definitely should try that.

Offline Joe Federer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.federerphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 10:59:30 AM »
Those that have done it, did you have more success with bigger commissions or smaller ones?  (my question relates to if I should target weddings or babies)

Offline Darren Cassese

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fotoglyphics.com
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 01:27:25 PM »
My new inquiries were low commission.  But is that the ad or the content driving that?  I'd say it is more the content.  I can't imagine a big spender being more or less likely to click a link driven by ad words unless you are actually targeting higher incomes specifically.  But high income isn't directly necessarily correlated with high commission.
Think happy thoughts.  Think happy thoughts.
Baltimore, Maryland Wedding and Portrait Photographer

Offline Rich Collins

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • OutsideShooter
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 07:00:46 PM »
Tried it once, worked to the extent that I got some responses, but I'll admit I did not make a campaign out of it, so I can't say that I gave it a fair chance. I'm a firm believer in networking, business and personal/family contacts, in addition to online presence be it twitter, FB website or blogs and forums. One of the, not the only, reason I'm here.
Shoot what pleases you, learn from it, teach to those whom are willing to learn.

Offline olivierlalin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 02:07:51 PM »
Funny i just got a google 100 in the mail! Tempted to give it a shot, cautious though and not sure of the investment, as i am guessing it is worth trying on a couple of month campain, targeting keywords
I am guessing it is worth the shot as long as you set a maximum monthly budget
Will give it a try tomorrow actually
Online marketing is a tough call, it seems that you have to be a better blogger then a photographer these days to build a decent online presence
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 03:51:13 PM by Joe Federer »

Offline Agale

• View Profile
    • Referral Rock - Referrals for photographers
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 01:22:48 PM »
Google is one of the best advertising platforms to spend $ on, tied with Facebook which I won't get into in this post :)

Why is Google so great?

You can target by location with your ads. This ensures you only get people visiting your site that can actually obtain your services.
Keywords show intent - Right now Facebook cant offer this. Intent means that people are actually searching for something, where as on Facebook your ad is showing up based on psychographics (who they are/ their interests) and they may not need your services at this time. Because of this Google gets to charge a pretty penny per click.

What you should do before you spend your adwords $

Make sure that your website actually converts! You want to have some type of offer or email capture in place where you know at least 15% of your visitors are going to sign up for something so you can get in touch with them.

Only spend $ on really high intent keywords - Don't be greedy and try to get the most traffic possible. First start small and bid on the keywords you know people are typing in to order photography services. After you get that system down, then expand your keyword reach and do so in a different 'ad group'.

Calculate your CAC cost. How much does an average customer make you ? $500 ? Then decide how much of that you're willing to give up per customer in advertising. But, you won't be making any money if you dont make sure your website converts before spending the $ on adwords!

If you want to learn more about conversion rate optimization (getting your website to convert) i highly suggest reading Conversion XL blog

Use Referral Rock to get more referrals for your photography business.

Offline thephotoman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 01:26:01 PM »
I would say it is worth it, Google ads do work but of course you can just completely ignore the ridiculous results Google advertise (50:1 ROIs and other such nonsense). If you're a photographer, your best bet would be to have a contact page where you can implement the Google conversion code on (you place this code on the page someone sees AFTER they have submitted the contact form), and then you can accurately check your return on investment. DEFINITELY worth a shot for most people and there are a wealth of resources where you can learn to create ads; avoid broad keyword bidding like the plague and make your ads as targeted as possible.

Offline otto

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 08:05:47 AM »
How do you setup you google adwords profile? How much do you set as daily spending limit? Thanks!