Author Topic: Umbrella storage bag solution needed  (Read 122 times)

Offline Duck

• Authenticated Members
  • Freelance commercial photographer and instructor
    • View Profile
    • Unitas Photography
Umbrella storage bag solution needed
« on: October 29, 2017, 08:34:56 PM »
In my studio I have a rack where I store light stands and scissor stands and such. On the back side I installed some cut lengths of cheap drainage tubes to be able to store my umbrellas. It keeps them neat, safe and out of the way. Some tubes can hold multiple smaller umbrellas and to prevent damage I keep them in their original plastic sleeves they came with. My problem is that most of these plastic sleeves are falling apart. Tearing at the seams or poking out the end. I don't want to store them without sleeves as it's another level of protection and keeps the splines from warping and the cloth from getting snagged.

Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions for protecting their umbrellas? I went online and they do sell bags but most are vinyl car storage holders for regular rain umbrellas or overpriced travel totes that can handles multiple umbrellas and light stands and stuff.

Here is a photo of my current storage to give you an idea of where and how they are kept.

Many thanks in advance.
My name is Charles Unitas but friends call me Duck

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.behmphoto.com
Re: Umbrella storage bag solution needed
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 09:45:36 PM »
For years Iíve taken the cardboard tubes left over from seamless paper and cut them to length, sealed one end with gaffers tape and turned them into umbrella protectors.  The tubes protect the umbrellas enough that I can safely put them in stand bags.  I could see those fitting your needs.

Offline Duck

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • Unitas Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 01:34:33 AM »
that's a pretty cool tip. I wouldn't have thought of using a cardboard tube for that purpose but it makes sense. However, I already store them in tubes so that would be a bit redundant plus they wouldn't be able to store well as tubes don't nest well within other tubes.

Another photographer suggested having someone sew nylon sleeves for them. They replicate the plastic sleeves they originally come in but are far more durable. I was hoping for a simpler solution but I just may not find it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Todd Muskopf

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.muskopf.org

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.behmphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 08:40:57 AM »
Yeh, Duck, I understand your comment.  My thinking is this: your existing tubes look like they will accommodate the cardboard tubes just fine if all you want to do is store the umbrella/tube combo inside.  Then, when going on location, simply grab the cardboard tube from the holder and go, with full protection for the umbrella in transit.  By properly furling the umbrella before sliding into the cardboard, they go right in.  Two of mine are over 20 years old and have been kept safe this way.

Offline Duck

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • Unitas Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 12:02:01 PM »
Are you looking for a storage solution, or a transportation solution?

Thanks for responding Todd, I am looking for intermediate protection I guess you can call it. The tubes in the image are permanently attached and create a centralized storage location within the studio that offers a good amount of protection. However, as you can see in the image, I shove two, three or four umbrellas (depending on their size) into each tube. The cheap plastic sleeve the umbrellas came in offer an additional level of protection against dust and dirt, snagging when being pulled in and out of the storage tube, and keeps the umbrella rolled tight adding an additional layer of protection to the splines.

My two biggest umbrellas have really cheap plastic sleeves that are getting brittle and starting to crack and tear at the seams. The tips have poked through a long time ago and I have one smaller umbrellas that's missing a sleeve all together. So basically I'm just looking to replace those bags with something that will hold up better than cheap vinyl. I did a Google search but didn't come up with anything beyond the typical rain umbrella car seat storage or home umbrella stand solutions. I was hoping someone here may have insight to an alternative solution.

For off site work I have a couple travel bags I'll toss them in that keep them fairly safe but I appreciate the links.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 12:06:03 PM by Duck »

Offline Duck

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • Unitas Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 12:04:28 PM »
Yeh, Duck, I understand your comment.  My thinking is this: your existing tubes look like they will accommodate the cardboard tubes just fine if all you want to do is store the umbrella/tube combo inside.
Doesn't hurt to give it a try. I was just trying to picture it in my head how that would work without loosing too much of the space. Thanks

Offline Ralph Underwood

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ruphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 09:02:46 AM »
I found a baseball bat bag is good to carry light stands and umbrellas. It was pretty cheap (don't remember the price).
Ralph Underwood
www.ruphotography.com

Offline Duck

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • Unitas Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 06:08:46 PM »
After some consideration, and not finding anything commercially, I decided to take the advice of custom sewn bags. Thankfully I am handy that way. Here's a shot of the finished products (all piled up in a mess).