Author Topic: Natural light in Family Portrait photography what you think ?  (Read 652 times)

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.behmphoto.com
Re: Natural light in Family Portrait photography what you think ?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 12:41:25 PM »
I don't know if it's cultural, but in the States, the beautiful young woman with the violin would not usually appear in the family portraits section strictly because mothers might think poorly of the mixture and look elsewhere.  Don't get me wrong, she's nicely photographed.  It's a question of what's appropriate in the eyes of your viewers, if they're looking for one thing and find another.  A separate category for "Beauty"  and containing the violinist might work.  Just a thought. 

Offline Duck

• Authenticated Members
  • Freelance commercial photographer and instructor
    • View Profile
    • Unitas Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 05:58:11 PM »
To put what Jeff said in another way; People know the difference between a portrait and a beauty shot. To include a beauty shot in your portrait section is stretching it and it's viewed the same as lying to people.

That said, there are way too many repetitive images for an overview of your portrait work. When a person sees the same couple in the same outfits at the same location it becomes boring no matter how 'different' the poses are. You don't want to bore your audience because no one wants to hire a boring photographer. When I scroll through and see, "Family Portrait Photography Worcester" under each and every image, that becomes distracting too.

I'll repeat what others have said here. You have some really great images and those images will sell your work for you. Just don't shove your work down your viewer's throats. Make the categories of the kind of work you want to do, pick 10 to 12 really great (different) images for those categories and create a portfolio around those images.

No one cares how you got them, where they were taken, under what light and so on. They just want to know you do good work and that comes through in your images.
My name is Charles Unitas but friends call me Duck

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."

Offline Nanette Reid

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • nanette reid | architectural & interior photographer
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 01:38:02 AM »
I echo Jeff's and Duck's sentiments as well.

One thing that did distract me totally, was the reversed vignetting. As I'm not a portrait photographer, I have no idea if this is a new trend, but for me personally, it looks like lens flare - something that never sits well when I'm looking at a photo by anyone, in *any* field.

I'm happy to be corrected if it is indeed a trend. :)

Offline Mike Nykoruk

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nykoruk.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 07:12:35 AM »
I agree with Jeff, Duck comments, Violin Girl is not in the same area as with Family Portraits,  Also Pick the best of each grouping and show only your best shots, more is not better.  You only have a few moments to make your best impression on a potential client, they will form their opinion quickly, and reinforment of thier conclusion is in your variety,... of your best of each catagory.

I also agree with Nanette's comments regrading the reverse vignetting.  I can see the appeal of the style in some of the heavy backlighted shots, but the effect on the lower part of the picture doesn't make sense and doesn't enhance the effect on the top part of the picture.  You might play with both a reverse V, on the top part and darkening V, on the lower portions.  (make two duplicates of the background layer, apply the Reverse V on one and Reg V on the other, Black mask them both, and selectively paint the efx in where appropriate.)  (For thoses who are thinking "How do you do that?"

Over really good feeling your your pictures, and good compositions, too. 

Don't stop dancing!.....

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 09:47:29 AM »
Your landscape work and awards speak for themselves. 

It appears that you're trying to expand your business into what I call "retail" work - families, weddings, etc.  I also get the feeling that your catalog in some of these areas you're showing is more limited than you wish, and you're trying to fill the category with what you have.  Perfectly understandable human reaction, but counterproductive to gaining more work.  Your 3-5 BEST shots - 1 each for 3 different families, for instance - will do more for you than a lot of shots that range from Best to Almost.  If the Almost images help tell a story that only the subject understands, put those in the private gallery for the client, not in the sales promotional area.

Less is more.

Offline Nanette Reid

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • nanette reid | architectural & interior photographer

Offline Tom_Jan

• View Profile
    • tomaszjanickiphoto.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 06:38:35 AM »

See everyone is writing the same so something must be in it  ;)
I will make a few corrections and get to know soon .
Thank you all for the suggestions
Tomasz

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 09:18:31 AM »
Hey, we're only passing on what's worked for us, lessons learned, etc.