Author Topic: Client Storage and Image Rights Agreements  (Read 692 times)

Offline Horner1412

• View Profile
    • www.mikehornerphotography.co.uk
Client Storage and Image Rights Agreements
« on: December 05, 2014, 04:19:21 AM »
Hi Guys- New to the forum and after some help with the paperwork side. Having done a commercial shoot for a local company, I'm looking for a 'standard' or template agreement for the storage of the image files and agreement on rights to the images.

Does anyone out there have anything like that? Have you drawn up your own?

Thanks

Mike

Offline Sbuchanan

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • Buchanan Studios
Re: Client Storage and Image Rights Agreements
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 06:25:50 AM »
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your gig.  For usage language and specification, I like to use the usage packs from PLUS (Picture Licensing Universal System.)  See USEPLUS.ORG for more info.  As far as image storage goes - I prefer to stay out of that business. If you're charging for image archiving then you'd best have insurance and a really good server system. Because if you have a failure, you could be considered liable for the image loss.  Of course I keep all of my images and jobs for my internal backup - but that's for my benefit.  I don't line item archiving in the bill.

Best regards,
Steve

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.behmphoto.com
Re: Client Storage and Image Rights Agreements
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 08:45:27 AM »
Steve said everything I practice re: specific archiving.  I keep them, but don't make it a line item charge for the reasons he states.  Give them a disk or thumb drive or digital download and leave the official archive to them.  The longer we're at this digital stuff, the more likely it is that hard drives will fail, disks will deteriorate, USB drives will get accidentally erased or cloud services will fail, all in the natural course of life.  To avoid these problems requires expensive back-up hardware in two different locations and frequent updating of storage media as technology evolves.  Charging for that is big time planning for the future.