Author Topic: 17 Hats business software  (Read 5990 times)

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.behmphoto.com
17 Hats business software
« on: October 14, 2014, 09:42:55 AM »
I'd never heard of this before several photographers in a DC area FB group started discussing it.  https://www.17hats.com  It's getting a lot of love.

It looks cool, but that's what ads are for.  Meanwhile, on the FB group I asked what was so different about this versus Quickbooks or AccountEdge, especially if you're already set up with either of those, and especially when it comes to tax time.  No one's tackled that as yet.

Perhaps someone here knows or uses 17 hats?  Love to discuss it further.

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
Re: 17 Hats business software
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 10:32:24 AM »
I emailed their support:

Dear 17hats support:

I was just made aware of your software 17hats and have (below) asked the first few of what could be many questions.

First, whatís different about 17hats vs. more traditional programs like Quickbooks or AccountEdge?  I assume we still have to do a good deal of set-up  in the background to make it work well, right?  If we have these things already, are they importable?  Is there sufficient difference to make re-doing all that set up of accounts, etc, worthwhile?

Second, what about photographers like myself, who are primarily commercial and advertising oriented?  I donít pursue weddings or portraits (tho, one comes along occasionally) but instead concentrate on products, corporate events, headshots and the like.  Proposals and contracts are the result of a good deal of information research about the prospective assignment.  Are these kinds of needs supported in 17hats, or is it primarily geared toward portraits and weddings, in which packages are more the norm?

Third, what about the integration we experience between Quickbooks and a lot of tax/accounting applications online?  Especially income tax, etc?

Fourth, I see the subscription model is mostly what you espouse, but are we then putting our economic information on a cloud space somewhere?  How private is that, and what of the increasingly frequent hacking concerns we hear about every day?  Is there a 17hats purchase/standalone option, with annual updates for laws and taxes, etc?

I look forward to hearing from you. 

They replied:  (within about 30 minutes)

Thanks for your interest! 17Hats is a complete one program solution that lets you manager your contacts, sync email and calendar, do bookkeeping, send quotes, contracts, invoices and questionnaires and let you keep track of various steps in each clients projects.

You can import contacts, but you cannot import existing financial data.

17Hats is a general business tool, it's not specifically geared for photographers. The quote -contract invoice combination would seem to fit very well with your commercial business needs.

We provide reports that aare used for taxes, however we don't currently integrate with any tax software.

We offer the following for security:

a) Online payments
We used Stripe or PayPal - both leading payment processors. We don't receive nor store any sensitive payment information ourselves.

b) Bookkeeping & Customer information
Are stored in our secure databases, which only our CEO and co-founder have access to.

c) Bank information is retrieved through Yodlee, the same partner that is handles it for most accounting apps (incl. initially mint.com before Intuit acquired it)
We don't store any login or other sensitive information, and have a read-only connection to the bank.

Please let us know if you have additional questions. Thanks. -Jack

Offline Jenny Gavin-Wear

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • Actor Headshot Photographer
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 05:18:05 PM »

It looks nice, but he doesn't mention any standalone options.  I wouldn't feel comfortable putting my customer info and financial data on line.  1.  It's not safe.  2.  What if I have no internet connection.

Currently I use Act! Contact Manager which I've used for years and saves a lot of work (and saves me from forgetting to do things!). For accounting I just use a spreadsheet.

Offline Darren Cassese

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fotoglyphics.com
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 07:45:59 PM »
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Think happy thoughts.  Think happy thoughts.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baltimore, Maryland Wedding and Portrait Photographer

Offline Theresa Fernandez

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theresafernandezphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 09:27:18 AM »
I've been using Freshbooks and love it.  I can do estimates, convert them to invoices and accept online payment.  I can also track expenses and bill to a client if needed.  I just started using CapsuleCRM and it itegrates with Freshbooks (was using a different CRM but it didn't have integration) CapsuleCRM also has integration with MailChimp so I've started a marketing plan(sent my first one on Monday) with my leads (people who have requested service but for what ever reason it didn't pan out) and Customers.  It was pretty nice how it all integrated.
Theresa Fernandez
Dallas Food Photographer

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 09:52:05 AM »
Well I took a look at the website and it does look interesting, I wanted to sign up for the trial but they are now by invitation... hope I get one, I would like to see how it works.... since it would be cheaper than paying for both FreshBooks and Capsule CRM
Theresa Fernandez
Dallas Food Photographer

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 04:37:54 PM »
Basically, since I'm already set up on AccountEdge from MYOB, and was on their previous software for about 15-18 years prior, I've already done all the set up, which is what I find the most tedious and, for me, most easy to make an error as I do it.  I looked also at the monthly rates vs my owning stand alone bookkeeping for which I pay once, and update occasionally.  I also am not convinced that the cloud is a safe place to store any of our financials.  Just last week I got a notice that M&T Bank will be sending me a new credit card to replace my one used at Home Depot during the period when the Homer got hacked.  This is the second time in 10 months I've had to do this, having done it just last January over the Target hack.  It's a huge PITA to change all my online accounts, and if the big guys can get hacked, so can a little cloud based software firm.  And, ye-e-sss, I understand that I can be hacked at home, too.  But I'm a far less choice target than a cloud full of thousands of accounts.  I like my odds as a stand alone better.

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 08:14:40 AM »
Well I'm an idiot....! I didn't realize it but a little over a week ago when I was trying out different CRMs I did sign up for them but never tried it out.  So I went back in to look around.  It has potential and there are some things I really like, but the UI is  'eh'.  In my day job I spend a lot of my time on UI/UX so I'm really picky about that, and what struck me was that the site is not responsive, which is key, they say they don't have a mobile app right now, well if the site was responsive, they could get around not having a native mobile app.  I do like the email templates although I couldn't get my email to work with it, and the way you can tailor an estimate. 

Like I mentioned earlier, I just migrated to another CRM  and streamlined my workflow a little, and while it doesn't do everything 17hats does I prefer the interface, so I'm going to wait and see after they get some feedback.

Jeff I hear you on the banking thing,  don't have any of my banking info on the sites I use, although Freshbooks has just added that feature I don't plan on using it in the near future.   I have BofA and have gotten a few new debit cards, I think they do it as a precaution - it is a pita though!
Theresa Fernandez
Dallas Food Photographer

Offline BellaEva

• View Profile
    • BellaEva Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 11:07:02 AM »
I believe 17 Hats is also aiming quite a bit to go into the field of ShootQ, Tave, etc. and help with the day to day organisation of your workflow. I tried it out quite some time ago and it still was in its beginning phase so I quickly ran into its limitations.

We are currently using ShootQ for the client workflow (including invoicing) and Xero for book keeping. That works great for us.

Florian.
BellaEva Photography - Because Life is Beautiful
Wedding & Portrait Photography on Maui, Hawaii
www.bellaevaphotography.com