Author Topic: My Attorney Shoot Is On  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Cory

• View Profile
My Attorney Shoot Is On
« on: October 03, 2014, 02:20:43 PM »
     So a friend of mine asked if I could capture the attornies in her office.  It's a bit of a distance so I identified the top guy in her area and made the connection (kind of just to get me out of it).  She just asked if I could step forward.  It's actually in a different office with twice the number of lawyers so I know I'll have to make two trips.  Priced it accordingly (from your previous recommendations) and I think I got this. 
     They want to have their shots taken outside with the backdrop of historical buildings amidst the Fall colors.  I'm hopeful for an overcast day, but what to do if it's sunny?  Would you say to only do this type of shoot with overcast skies?  Also, I'm sort of OK with basic lighting and make a lot of use of the Little Black Foamie Thing.  I use a Canon 70D, 35 2.0 IS and 430EX II.  With that in mind - any "lighting" recommendations and do you like 35 on a crop or would 50 be a better choice for portraits?  If you think that lighting is a good idea I was thinking of keeping it super simple with a 42" disc on a holder and bouncing off of that if necessary.  There's also adding off-camera to the mix, but I'm a massive fan of simple.
     Thank you again for your past direction and any in this discussion.
     Much appreciated.

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.behmphoto.com
Re: My Attorney Shoot Is On
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 03:46:34 PM »
Take a look here for blending strobes and outdoor ambient for portraits.  http://www.sekonic.com/classroom/webinars/blending-flash-and-ambient-light-for-beautiful-outdoor-portraits.aspx

Offline Sam Levitan

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • Sam Levitan Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 10:03:23 AM »
I'm hopeful for an overcast day, but what to do if it's sunny?  Would you say to only do this type of shoot with overcast skies?

I think the trickiest part is not so much what if it's sunny or not, but what if it's sunny in one and not in another.  Outdoor portraits look great, but you really have to do them fast and within a short span of time if you have a number of subjects, otherwise the light will change dramatically from shot to shot.

As for the lens, the 50 would be a better choice than the 35 for portraits like this, but even longer is better, if you have that option.

Offline Cory

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 10:45:31 PM »
Thanks for the comments and the video.  I'll sit and view that tomorrow evening and I've been considering a 50 1.4.  Now might be a perfect time to add that to the mix.

Offline Cory

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 10:28:32 PM »
Shoot 1 of 2 went today without a hitch including a group shot of the partners.  Went smooth as can be.
Ended up getting the Sigma 50 1.4 Art which works BRILLIANTLY with my Canon 70D.  Really enjoyed it and part 2 is next Friday.
One member asked for a quick delivery today which I just provided via email.  The shot came out remarkably well.
The office was all white walls and ceiling.  I went with what I know and on-camera bounce in that environment went beyond well.
I did identify a local professional who's pictures are some of the best I've seen.  His use of lighting is impeccable.  Emailed him from his website and spoke with him today on my drive home.  He offered to spend an hour with me in a few weeks and said that his techniques are very simple using minimal gear.
I guess that learning from him, then others and then more others will be an ongoing journey of constant improvement.
In summary - went so well that I'm having serious thoughts about making this my primary vocation.  Not yet giving up my day job, but it was really fantastic, not a bad payday (could have done better, but am just entering) and I thank you all.

Offline Cory

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 04:05:30 PM »
Just to follow up - Got paid today and it's quite a treat.  Had to go back 3 times due to various schedules and still have one more visit to wrap things up.
All-in-all the pictures came out remarkably well.  I can't say that I entirely knew what I was doing, but no one knew that other than I.  Still have a lot to learn and am still heavily vested in my day job, but it's a start.
Not sure where I'd like to go with professional photography, but I'll just continue with word-of-mouth for now and keep an open mind. 
Thanks again for all your input.
In the mean time I do have to somehow master lighting to get to the next level.

Offline Todd Muskopf

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.muskopf.org
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 05:04:57 PM »
Let it grow slowly and add new gear as you make more money.  Build your arsenal of tools while you have the day job.  That way, if you do want to go full time, you won't have to go into debt to do so.

Offline Mike Nykoruk

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nykoruk.com
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 05:51:58 AM »

In the mean time I do have to somehow master lighting to get to the next level.

I recommend Amherst Media for very informative How to books on all aspects of Professional photography.  You can order them through their website but they may cost less through Amazon. http://www.amherstmedia.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AM&Product_Code=1762&Category_Code=AB

Learn and prosper.

Offline Cory

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 04:42:16 PM »
Thanks again, everyone.  I had an accomplished pro look at my shots and he initially thought I used off-camera lighting.  I used on-camera and bounced a lot. 
I think I'll just continue to master with the gear I have and learn along the way rather than obssess about what I don't know or have.  Keeping-It-Simple might even be my lifelong pursuit. 
Again, many thanks. 

Offline Mike Nykoruk

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nykoruk.com
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 05:51:33 AM »
is ignorance really Bliss?

Knowing what to do,  is keeping it simple. 8)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 05:54:26 AM by Mike Nykoruk »