Author Topic: Godox failed for the first time  (Read 187 times)

Offline Darren Cassese

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fotoglyphics.com
Godox failed for the first time
« on: August 08, 2017, 09:19:30 AM »
Well, after 3 years of service (minus a few months) my Godox Ving 860c failed me for the first time this weekend and I had to switch to my backup Canon 580EX. For some odd reason, the ETTL stopped working. I haven't tried to clean contacts yet and I'm hoping that's all it is. Or maybe a firmware update will give it a kick in the butt and fix it. But alas, I fear it is dead.

But if the ETTL is truly shot, I actually got 3 years of use from the flash for less than a third of the cost of the equivalent Canon version and it lasted longer than Canon's warranty period. A new one will cost about as much as a Canon repair, would this have happened on a Canon flash.

So - I feel like I have received a good value for the flash nonetheless. Even with a non-functional ETTL, the manual settings are working fine. So I can still retire it to off camera use until the bulb burns out.

Now I'm shopping a replacement and the Ving860II for $199 is calling.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Think happy thoughts.  Think happy thoughts.
Baltimore, Maryland Wedding and Portrait Photographer

Offline Houston George

• Resident Cheapskate
  • Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.houstons-photography.com
Re: Godox failed for the first time
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 11:02:01 PM »
For the price, I agree 3 years of good life doesn't leave a lot of room to complain. I saw something recently that really made me sit up and take notice; Yongnuo has a video of a drop test they did on a YN968EX. Mounted atop a light stand, they push it over onto the pavement and it still works perfectly. I've had that scenario happen too many times and never with good results, even with Nikon flashes. Knowing there's more focus on durability excites me since that's the major compromise with cheaper third party gear.

Are you going back with Godox due mostly to the battery design?
Houston

Online Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.behmphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 09:35:49 AM »
You guys are echoing my thinking behind my own purchase of 3 Yongnuos to supplement 2 Canon 580EX II and 1 580 EX.  In a way, its the kind of planned obsolescence on gear that I usually avoid, but speedlight-type flashes often take a pretty good beating, sufficient to ruin the camera brands.  So, why not lower the cost of replacement? 

I'll be interested in Darren's update on his Godox.  I've been thrilled with their AD600 rebranded as Flashpoint at Adorama, as well as their various accessories I've tried.

Though I don't need the new Yongnuo, I was curious, so I tried unsuccessfully to find a review of the YN968EX that went beyond unboxing or reading of features.  I was hoping FlashHavoc.com would have more, but so far it must be too new for any actual user info.  By the way, Adorama has it for $159, while Amazon has it for $119 (it's stated list price).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:38:13 AM by Jeff Behm »

Offline Darren Cassese

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 10:16:27 AM »
To respond to both posts, I cleaned contacts and still don't have ETTL functionality. Bummer. In fact, I noticed in re-testing that it outputs less than 1/128 power on ETTL +3. Bizarre behavior and I don't see how it can be fixed. Electronics are tricky thing. Seems like a chip failure somewhere. I sent an email to Godox to see if fixing is even an option but in the meantime I just ordered the 860cII. It has the radio control built in and I got a discount on the new Godox trigger to go with it so now I will be able to retire my Pocket Wizards, which I rarely even use anymore. Very cool!

HG - That kind of answers your question...I like their line of triggers - they've been rock solid. And I also like the Lithium battery a lot. Now I hate having to use my 580EX because of the cord for external power. I've never been one to tolerate just using AA without extremely fast recharge.

But I may consider purchasing a AA unit as a secondary or remote flash to pair with this one as a primary flash when shooting second.

Note - When I shoot primary, I still use the Canon for the continuous flash capability.

Offline Houston George

• Resident Cheapskate
  • Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.houstons-photography.com
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 02:32:02 PM »
Electronics are tricky thing. Seems like a chip failure somewhere

And probably an example of getting what we pay for. A few years back I had problems with Yongnuo flashes just dying abruptly. No falls or impact of any kind, just stopped working. It just stands to reason cheaper units are probably such because every diode, relay, chip, board, and capacitor comes from a less-than-top-quality supplier. I had a couple of flashes lose their zoom capability simple because the soldering broke from the repeated movements. No breaking news here I realize.

Any guess as to how many shoots the Godox endured? Depending on the photographer, three years could be 30 shoots or 1000. Too bad the darn things don't have a flash counter or hour gauge.
Houston

Offline Darren Cassese

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 06:18:12 PM »

Any guess as to how many shoots the Godox endured? Depending on the photographer, three years could be 30 shoots or 1000. Too bad the darn things don't have a flash counter or hour gauge.

I'm going to estimate about 40 shoots as a primary flash and about 500-800 shots each shoot, many at very high power, but overall volume on the lower end.

Online Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.behmphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 05:36:30 PM »
Based on a couple of factors:  A) extremely high satisfaction with the Flashpoint Explor AD600  B) the excellent reviews given the Flashpoint Evolv 200  and C) my desire for more reliable and powerful wireless and cordless lighting for location photography, I today received my first Evolv 200.  The battery was down to the first bar when it arrived, so testing has been minimal, but I did get to play with it some. 

At 10'. ISO 100, 1/180 second it was metered as:

1/128 power  f1.0
1/64  power  f1.4
1/32             f2.0
1/16             f2.8
1/8               f4.0
1/4               f5.6 -.1
1/2               f8.0 -.1
1/1               f11  -.1

With the power of 3 Canon 580EX II Speedlights, I anticipate using this AD200 in conjunction with the AD600 a good deal and adding another AD200 to the system.  All have internal receivers for the Flashpoint R2 transmitter yielding full power control, mode control, exposure settings, HSS, second curtain sync and more, from the camera of course.   Another use for the AD200 is on a monopod or extension pole for an assistant to hold with or without a modifier.  I plan to test both the MagMod Sphere and a 20" collapsible softbox on the AD200 this weekend for an outdoor session.

As an example of the capabilities of the system, for a recent bright morning session for a yoga instructor, I placed the AD600 on a 36" Octobox using HSS at full power and shooting nearly into the sun.   It took about 2 seconds to fully recharge, but worth it.  It was faster I think, than my Vagabond Mini on a White Lightning Ultra 1200 (which is really 600ws, or same as the AD600). 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 05:43:44 PM by Jeff Behm »

Offline Darren Cassese

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 07:42:41 PM »
Yep! :)