Author Topic: Shooting wedding images on a different day?  (Read 2070 times)

Offline Joe Federer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.federerphotography.com
Shooting wedding images on a different day?
« on: April 23, 2013, 04:30:06 PM »
I\'m in a wedding this Saturday.

The photographers are doing the romantic/epic/flattering/informal photographs on Sunday instead of the day-of the wedding.

This struck me as extremely odd and kind of defeating the purpose, in that it\'s not actually recording you as you were on your wedding day.

Thoughts?

Offline Donna Underwood

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • Images by Donna U
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 04:37:21 PM »
Seems more and more people are moving toward convenience over sentiment and historical correctness.

Offline A Former Member

• Authenticated Members
  • A Former Memeber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 05:15:18 PM »
I\'d be happy with that, to only have to concentrate telling the story on the day and then have loads of time the next day without eating into their wedding day time. I just don\'t think it suits many couples schedules and finances. Its not just a photographer for a second day, its makeup and hair presumably and what about the flowers?

Andrew

Offline Paul Grupp

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://upstatephotographers.com
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 06:26:11 PM »
This has happened with me once. It was an Indian/Muslim wedding, and we weren\'t able to be involved in the planning as we usually are. It was a cold time of the year, and everything happened after dark at a very institutional-looking mosque, so we really didn\'t have a chance to do anything nice.

The bride requested us to do some nice portraits and formals outdoors in a park after they returned from their \"second\" wedding in India, and we happily complied. That\'s the only time it\'s come up for us.

There\'s very little sacred about the vast majority of wedding traditions, IMHO. For obvious logistical and business reasons, I wouldn\'t want to encourage the practice, but if it becomes a trend, I suppose I would just shrug and deal with it.

Overall though, it seems a bad idea to me. The wedding day does seem to be getting longer and longer these days. There\'s an awful lot of sitting around waiting for stuff to happen, mostly because brides can\'t help themselves from starting to get ready far too early. I\'d like to think that under ordinary circumstances, it should be easy to get everything done in a single day -- and that is highly desirable.

Best,
Paul
http://upstatephotographers.com

Quote from: Federer Photography
I\'m in a wedding this Saturday.

The photographers are doing the romantic/epic/flattering/informal photographs on Sunday instead of the day-of the wedding.

This struck me as extremely odd and kind of defeating the purpose, in that it\'s not actually recording you as you were on your wedding day.

Thoughts?

Offline Skip Middleton

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 06:41:42 AM »
We\'ve actually done this a couple of times. One, like Paul, it was an Indian wedding, the other, we determined that we would not have time to get the couple down to the beach and back to the venue in a timely manner, so we decided to do the B&G stuff at the beach the next day.  We had a nice, relaxed shoot on the beach, B&G barefoot in the sand, down to the water, got the tux and the dress wet, a little.  The latter would have been out of the question if they\'d had to go back to a reception.

Offline Joe Federer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 09:45:27 AM »
To follow up --

The couple canceled the \'after-shoot\'. Too tired, sore, and busy to make it happen the day after.

I don\'t know if that means they \'lose\' it or if they are just going to do it a week or two after they get back from their honeymoon.  Given they get no romantic/posed imagery from their wedding -- I hope they at least get to reschedule this post-shoot.

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.behmphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 10:13:36 AM »
I actually used to offer a \"before/after the wedding\" option.  Only a few ever chose it, and all of them went for \"before\".  They rightly decided to go for reducing stress and time pressure on the wedding day, and were glad they did.  No one ever opted for \"after\", usually citing getting back to work and life schedules following the honeymoon, etc.

I assume your friends must have prepaid for this, Joe, so you\'re wondering \"now what\"?

Offline Todd Muskopf

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.muskopf.org
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 10:15:05 AM »
Hair & makeup twice in two days?  What about stains and torn dresses?

Offline Joe Federer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 07:08:06 PM »
Yep, dress is stained and torn... they are going to have it cleaned and then go try the shoot again.

I think the idea is kind of silly and would ONLY entertain it if the couple brought it to me first and we couldnt\' do it any other way.  And even then, I\'d suspect they hired the wrong person if those kinds of posed images are that important to them.

Hungover, tired, sore, dirty, different hair, no excitement, etc etc etc...  just seems....  blaaah.  Though, I\'m sure you could get some really amazing images, and I\'ve often thought of doing a styled shoot specifically for that purpose...

Offline Jeff Behm

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.behmphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 07:37:53 AM »
I agree, Joe, especially with the loss of emotion in a session after the wedding and return from the honeymoon.  That wasn\'t an issue for sessions before, of course. But the old saw about it being bad luck to see the bride in her gown before-hand?  Yikes, the heat couples who chose that took from family!  That bs seemed to dissipate once they saw framed 16x20s and 20x24s of the couple in full regalia at the entryway to the reception, though.  

Saved tons of time on the day, and made the couple more relaxed because they knew the looked great.  A number of brides actually stated that seeing in advance how they looked - hair, m/u, gown, tux - was an enormous reassurance.

Offline Darren Cassese

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fotoglyphics.com
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 06:18:15 PM »
I\'ve done \"after sessions\" as a paid add-on and it was quite a success.  The couple just didn\'t want to fret about portraits during the wedding day, but had some additional thoughts in mind about what they wanted and where that simply isn\'t possible for most weddings.

From a pure business perspective, the mistake most photographers make, IMO, is packaging these sessions with the wedding.  They should be treated as extras and booked separately.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Think happy thoughts.  Think happy thoughts.
Baltimore, Maryland Wedding and Portrait Photographer

Offline otto

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 04:01:49 PM »
Depending on the day of the wedding, the bride and groom may want to have their formal bridal posed photos on a different day because they WANT to enjoy their wedding with their guests! They can pose for the wedding photographer the next day. We do this all the time. I makes sense to us!

Offline Joe Federer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Shooting wedding images on a different day?
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
Hard to argue against the bride and groom wanting to enjoy their wedding day.

Equally hard to argue that taking photos a few weeks after the wedding counts as 'wedding photos'.  Instead, they are just modeling photos wearing wedding gear... imho.

Offline Ed Shapiro

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 09:03:57 PM »
I have done formal sessions in advance of the wedding date in certain cases where it is warranted and indicated. Most of the time the couple will put aside enough time during the wedding day to accommodate a nice easy going session for some elegant formals and group photographs. Sometimes, however,  especially with very large weddings which are more like corporate mergers than private family affairs, the demands on the couple become overwhelming and in the planning sessions we advise that the formal photography be isolated form the pace of the wedding day itself.  If the clients are enthusiastic about their photography the usually agree.

I always do theses session at the bride’s or a relative’s home so there is no danger of outdoor perils.  I do not charge additionally for this service so the few additional dollars spent on hair, makeup and flowers do not usually become an issue. Sometimes it is just the couple and in some cases the immediate family and the bridal part will participate as well. Many of mu clients were happy with theses arrangement because the cut down on some of the stress and rushing on the big day and they can simply enjoy the day and leave me to my candid or journalistic coverage. If a few out-of-door portraits are desired, I can easily do a few in very little time if the location is available.

In an era where the journalistic approach to wedding photography seems to be more in vogue than some of the “old school” methods; I am surprised at how many couples are now asking for a tradition set of elegant formals with attention to detail with natural but graceful posing and folks really photographed in their best light!

I don’t mind putting in the additional time. Oftentimes the results lead to the sale of large wall portraits and more abundant albums.  In designing albums, some of the pre-wedding images can be inserted among the impromptu shots to provide interesting segues.

I hope this helps.  Ed ;)   

Ed Shapiro
The Hintonburg Studio
Ottawa, Canada

Offline Joe Federer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 12:42:30 PM »
For me, I'm not against the idea of a later/earlier session from a technical point of view.  Yes, they'll probably be slightly technically better than something that was 'rushed' and, like I said, it's "Hard to argue against the bride and groom wanting to enjoy their wedding day."

But really, it's a philosophical issue for me.   Are they really 'wedding photos' if they aren't taken on the wedding day?    For me, part of the magic of wedding photography is that it documents a day. One, very specific, point in the story of this couples life.   .... it's NOT portraiture, where time limits are somehwhat flexible (if you do 18 year old photos at age 17... no one cares).  The time aspect is a fundamental issue in the documentation.   Doing the shoot 2 weeks later loses that aspect...

(this is also why I don't "re-stage" things either...  The authenticity of the wedding coverage is paramount.  [that's not to say not to pose people...] )

Offline Jason Lambert

• Authenticated Members
  • Hi
    • View Profile
    • Jason Lambert Photography
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 02:58:51 PM »
I agree, Joe. Besides what you have stated, most of my clients aren't great actors. I can see a drastic difference in the look a bride gives a groom at an e-session and what she gives him an hour after they said "I do". I'd rather deliver one great image with that emotion than 30 without it.

Offline Ed Shapiro

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 08:01:18 PM »
I am really not into re-staging anything to any great extent.  There is a valid argument that formal shots taken before the wedding will not have the authenticity or emotional glow as images made during the excitement of the actual wedding day. On the other hand, with certain brides, their may be too nervous or stressed out to pose of formals during all the excitement.  So it’s a toss up; would you rather deal with having to inject some mood and excitement into a quiet pre-shoot or deal with a nervous wreck on the wedding day.  My directorial skills are good enough to encourage good expressions so I don’t worry about that.  I never insist on pre-wedding formal sessions but when I suggest them, many brides are very impressed with the idea.  I only so this if the clients finds this treatment to be an advantage. 

As far as so called “altar” returns, I never attempt to restage an entire ceremony.  Some churches still have stringent rules and outright restrictions against photography.  So… if I am just allowed to shoot from a balcony or a choir loft where I can only see the backs of the couple; most clergypersons will participate on a short reenactment. This takes me all of 5 minutes- I just want a ring exchange and a shot representing a benediction or a blessing and that’s it.  I shoot low so as not to see empty pews and try to include a stained glass window or some other church artifact in the background. Again- I have no problems encouraging great expressions.

Believe me- 10 or 20 years later, few people remember posing for the few staged shots and they have a nice representation of the religious aspect of the wedding.

Some clients have serious misconceptions when the see large elegant bridal portraits in my showroom. They think that theses images have materialized all by themselves or were done in a grab action manner.  So I take the time to explain to them, well in advance, that those kinds of images require their cooperation a bit of time (a window of opportunity) set aside for formal photography.  After that, everything goes smoothly!     

I do believe in honesty and integrity in photojournalism but some of that is overkill with wedding photography. In many cases a wedding is a fantasy time full of color and romance.  Folks usually don’t go to work in Victorian Gowns and Tuxedos, participate in majestic church ceremonies and throw a bodacious dinner/dance party on an every day basis. So what’s a little more fantasy? Personally, I love freestyle shooting and capturing real stuff but I do believe there is a place for some elegant formal portraiture in the mix.  Just consider what some brides pay for their wedding gowns plus the time and effort that go into shopping and finally selecting one. I am sure most brides want a few really perfect images where attention to detail is exercised to a fault by her photographer.

Ed :)         
Ed Shapiro
The Hintonburg Studio
Ottawa, Canada

Offline Darren Cassese

• Authenticated Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fotoglyphics.com
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 09:20:53 PM »
I pretty much just photograph whatever I'm paid to photograph.  Total whore... 

I see "after sessions" as simply just a relaxed manner in which a B&G can enjoy a quality portrait session without worrying about the stresses of wedding day.  I think they are a great idea.  For me personally if I were getting married these days, it wouldn't be a philosophical issue as much as it would be a practical one.  Would I really want to rent the tux all over again just for that?  Does the bride really want to put the dress on again?  I suspect this is why more couples opt not to do it more so than for any philosophical reason. 

I like true "day after" sessions.  Those are fun, versus the formal ones.  But whatever floats their boat works for me.
Think happy thoughts.  Think happy thoughts.
Baltimore, Maryland Wedding and Portrait Photographer

Offline BellaEva

• View Profile
    • BellaEva Photography
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2016, 11:22:41 AM »
It for sure takes out some authenticity of the photos, but it also can take out a lot of stress of the timeline. We really love sunset photos, but sometimes we run into the problem that sunset collides with the perfect reception time, so this is for sure a way out of the dilemma :) In some Asian countries there is actually a big market for doing wedding pictures beforehand, the couple travels to a famous spot (national park, amusement park, etc.), brings their full atire and they do a full photo shoot. Those photos are then shown at the wedding itself. Kind of a cool idea from a business point of view!
BellaEva Photography - Because Life is Beautiful
Wedding & Portrait Photography on Maui, Hawaii
www.bellaevaphotography.com

Offline compasiune11

• Chase the light!
    • View Profile
    • Fotograf nunta Brasov
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 12:46:09 PM »
I am doing the after the wedding photoshoot, whenever my clients want. Maximum is one year after the wedding.
It's more ok this way, they are more opened and calm.
My Website: Fotograf Nunta | My Blog: Albume de nunta